What is the Modular Jack Talk?
The Modular Jack Talk is a 45-minute OR 90-minute mental health presentation facilitated by two trained and experienced youth speakers that covers one or more topics in mental health (‘modules’) and is designed to be tailored to your audience's needs.
This is a new offering within Jack.org’s Jack Talks program and so options for customization are limited and will continue to be developed over time.
Who is the Modular Jack Talk best suited for?
Although not a requirement, the Modular Jack Talk is best suited for young people who have already experienced our standard Jack Talk and would benefit from diving a little deeper into some of the concepts featured in the standard Jack Talk.
What does the Modular Jack Talk entail?
Choose up to two* modules from our three available modules:
- Mental health knowledge. Topics include: Definition of mental health and mental illness, the dual spectrum of mental health, struggle versus crisis, social and structural determinants of mental health, and groups of mental illnesses
- Strategies for being there for others. Topics include: How to be there for others who are struggling with their mental health (through 5 Golden Rules), how to effectively initiate a conversation when concerned about another's mental health, how to connect others to help, how to set appropriate boundaries, how to respond in a crisis
- Strategies for being there for ourselves. Topics include: Self-awareness, emotional regulation, self-compassion, resilience, self-care, recognizing signs and symptoms of a mental health struggle, and coping strategies
*One module = 45 minutes
*Two modules = 90 minutes
Choose from two audience engagement levels:
Choose from two audience knowledge levels:
- Low engagement (Your audience is typically on the quieter or more reserved side and may do better with individual reflection activities)
- High engagement (Typically quick to respond to prompts and other opportunities to engage and may do better with group discussions)
- Introductory (Recommended for high school aged audiences (e.g. 13-17), audiences who have not had a Jack Talk in the past, and/or audiences who are newer to mental health concepts)
- Experienced* (Recommended for post-secondary-aged audiences (e.g. 18-24), who have already had a Jack Talk in the past, and/or audiences who have some knowledge of mental health concepts.)
*Note: If you select ‘Experienced’ your Jack Talk will lightly touch on the topic of body image and eating disorders via personal stories and examples/discussion points, and additional resources on the topic will be mentioned.
Interested? Learn more about the Modular Talk by checking out this overview, or request a Modular Jack Talk below.